Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Inner 4 Year Old

By this point in my life, one would think I'd be able to manage my impulsive tendancies. Apparently not. 5 days away from unemployment with plenty of boxes to deal with in my small, small office, and all I can think of is how I'm going to spend my first 36 hours in Madrid. I think my kindergarten teacher was right - I don't have any self control.

Screw self control. After 3 years in a city that has a walking pace that is far faster than most in the US, it's time for a change and I'm going to enjoy my excitement. I've had a wonderful time living in DC, and as difficult as it is for me to leave my friends, the stability of my job, and my comfort zone, I'm in for an incredible ride. I start law school in the fall, and before I set myself aside for 36 months of non stop mental assault, I deserve one last big blowout.

My family's nickname for me is the Gyspy. It all started my sophomore year of college when I got a scholarship to a study abroad program in Seville, Spain. I was 19, completely fearless, and had a little more money in my bank account than any college student had any business managing. I had the time of my life. I saw Amsterdam, Tangiers and everything in between. I learned the fastest and cheapest ways to see 2 countries and 10 castles in one weekend. My parents were never quite sure what country I'd be in (or continent I'd be on) when I called. I fell in love with food and a boy in Barcelona, and I walked across a country in under a month with 3 changes of clothes, a journal and a camera. That's the year I became addicted to travelling. My passport has gotten a little exercise since then, but I haven't really gone on any audacious jaunts like I did that year. In the last 5 years, I have lived some pretty random places, moved for some pretty random reasons, and had some unbelieveable stories to tell. I think it's time for another fearless run around the world.

I miss being 19, but 26 isn't half bad. I've learned a little since college, and I'm excited to see if I'm still as good at being a vagabond as I was then. Here's to finding out. This time next week I'll be in Madrid, and 12 days from now I'll be soaking my feet after my first day of a month long pilgrimage across the northern coast of Spain with one of my favorite girlfriends and my cousin. I'm flying to Tunisia on my dad's birthday to spend two weeks exploring the ruins of Carthage and sitting on the beach. I hope I can find chocolate cake in Cap Bon.

1 comment:

Leslie Ann Kitten said...

God Gosh! It is about time! I was having Gypsy withdrawls.